Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Auld Shebeen

Restaurant review

Well, we were invited to go out with the dogfather and his da wife. They chose to meet us somewhere in Fairfax for an exchange of goods -- he was passing on a copy of Lost 3.1 and I had a bottle of mead of which I believe he had not tried. We are mead "aficianados" and perhaps the dogfather will post a mead review :-) This mead is not the best (that would be Lurgashall's Christmas Mead), but I don't think dogfather had tried this one, as I have said.

Anyway, as we had the choice of restaurant, we chose the Auld Shebeen. It is an Irish pub with a restaurant, bar (of course) and game watching room in the cellar. All in all, fairly pleasant although a tad loud. The selection of food was very good and I will be going back (MSG doesn't bother me much). The food was good but we suspect it may have had MSG in it. It turns out that doggie daddy is a bread pudding fan as well (just one of a million things we have in common) so we chose to skip the alcohol this trip and save the calories for bread pudding. I will say that the Auld Shebeen's pudding is sweet, lacks density and rum butter. Chutzpah and Blue Iguana still top this one. Next time, 20oz. Guinness *or* Irish coffee.

I think we might have gotten a tad more raucous with booze involvement :-) The restaurant music was better before the live music started but was mainly unobtrusive. Service was a trifle slow but bearable and cheerful. Over all, a pleasant dinner out with friends. Net time, we meet the dogfather and da wife out their way.

1 comment:

The Dogfather said...

I agree with your assessments. I believe for the next go 'round out there, I'll pick up the corned beef and cabbage, or possibly the lentil soup. Yum! Have not tried the mead as of yet, but will certainly post a review once I have. Definitely a good time had by all.

Cheers